Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Daily 5

I use Daily 5 during our reading block. I love how it teaches students to become independent when writing and reading. However, it takes at least 6 weeks students to work independently. I usually start implementing Daily 5 during the 2nd or 3rd week of school. We always start with Read-to-Self then move onto Read-to-Someone. These two parts of Daily 5 are the most important to build stamina on. I've created a Build Your Stamina poster to help remind kids to stay on task. Of course we also create a t-chart as a class to show what each part of Daily 5 looks like. Here's the stamina poster!


We always talk about 3 ways to read a book. I think it's really important because often there will be non readers and they need to feel successful when reading to themselves. We talk about reading the pictures, reading the words and retelling the story. Here's the poster I've created for 3 ways to read a book.


When we begin to learn about Read-to-Someone, we always start with EEKK. I love this because it's simple and a great way for the students to remember how to sit! I always hear my students saying EEKK before they sit down to read! Here's the poster I made for EEKK!


After learning Read-to-Self and Read-to-Someone, I teach my students the I "PICK" poster. When they are looking for a book to put into their book bag, I tell them to think of PICK. P, what's the purpose? Why do I want to read this book? I, does this book interest me? C, can I understand this book? K, do I know most of the words? My students love I "PICK!" They even use it when we go to the library! Here's the I "PICK" poster!


These posters are FREE on my TpT store! Enjoy!



1 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to have found your blog! I teach first grade, and I will be starting both WBT and the Daily 5 in my classroom this upcoming school year. I look forward to reading more posts from you on the two subjects. I still have a lot of learning to do!

    ReplyDelete